Friday 2 October 2015

Moda Building Blocks: done!

After a year of piecing the beautiful Moda building blocks quilt top is done!


It's so big I had to cut the corners off the picture to get it to fit on screen! 

I pieced this quilt as part of the Simply Solids block of the month project and slowly but surely it's been coming together. 

This was one of the better block of the month projects I was doing this year: it had a good variety of blocks (although no curves, foundation or paper piecing, inset seams etc.) and definitely forced me out of my comfort zone for piecing. Having initially cursed Moda's technique for cutting and piecing flying geese and half square triangles (bias anyone?!) it's now my favourite way to piece these units. No more flippy corners for me! 

For the backing I've chosen a very simple monochrome text. As front is so colourful and busy, I didn't want the back to fight with or detract from the front. I love that the names of some of the fabrics used in the top are listed on the back.



The added bonus with this project is the sheer volume of fabric I have left over. At the beginning of the project Simply Solids warned us to retain our scraps as we'd need them later on. So over the course of the year I've been retaining and re-using any scraps over 1". Which means at the end of the year I've ended up with this stash 


That's at least 15 fat quarters or half yards of white and numerous fat quarters of half yards of colours from across the Kona range. I've set aside the colours to make the Elizabeth Hartman Patchwork City quilt, perhaps supplementing from my print scraps. 

The white is going to be used for another project coming up. 

But as soon as one door closes, another opens. Starting this month is Don't Call Me Betsy's Epic Sampler Block of the Month project and I've got my fabric all ready to go! 


6 comments:

  1. Love the Moda Modern Blocks quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt finish--I hopped over from "Crazy Mom Quilts" --finish it! I have never made a sampler quilt but have E. Hartman's Patchwork city book--the blocks look difficult...I like your idea to use the Kona solids--I will be watching how yours progresses....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just so neat to have all those different sizes, looks wonderful! Visiting from Finish It Up Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully colourful! Great work.

    ReplyDelete