Tuesday 7 April 2015

The little things in life

It's amazing how the little things in life can make a difference. I like to pride myself on being a fairly developed industrious being but, as last weekend proved, it only takes moving to daylight savings time to throw me out of sync all week. The whole week I felt like I was an hour late to everything. And jet lag? Don't even get me started...

On Friday afternoon I plugged my little travel iron in to heat up. After a busy few minutes of piecing I went to iron a seam flat and...nothing. The plate of the iron was barely lukewarm. I checked I'd switched it on, wiggled the cable, switched plug sockets (you can tell I'm not that mechanically minded can't you?!). Nothing. After barely 8 months of light use the little machine had given up the ghost.

Whilst Amazon sorted out a replacement I had to battle on with my big laundry iron. And it didn't take me long to notice the difference - I almost burnt my fingers twice on the first seam! My fingers were constantly in all the wrong places, I couldn't hold a seam open for ironing without risking life and digits. It was a bit of a farce. For the sake of avoiding injury, I gave up. 

Hopefully my new travel iron should be arriving on Tuesday but it's a stark reminder of how unaware we are of our comfort zone and how quickly we can be turfed out of it. 

I hope the postie isn't late on Tuesday. I've got miles of seams to press before I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment